Monday, 15 December 2008

How would you change the Arduino?

Talk about Merry Christmas!

I just got back from meeting up with a former professor of mine here in New York City (the one who taught me signals and systems back in undergrad - ugh), and he told me that he's been using the Arduino in his class now for about a year. But, his students keep running out of I/O and memory for their projects, and assignments. Sooo... (drum roll) he was wondering if I'd be willing to make a few modifications for him (like finding a way to fit in more IO pins, for starters). But here's the best part yet... he's going to use part of his grant to help fund it all... Thanks!

Anyway, it's only fair to give back to the open source hardware community, so in the next few weeks, over my Christmas vacation, I'm going to be laying out a whole new board, hopefully in time for the first week or two of 2009, to usher in the new year with a new board. Chris, Justin, Mike, and I learned a lot about about the little details with AVR back when we first built the TouchShield, so hopefully that will all come in handy this time around.

Here's the catch. The whole thing, literally everything down to parts lists and schematics and you name it, is going to be Open Source. As in GNU and Creative Commons and Free Software Foundation Open Source. As in real, true, 100% USDA prime "open source hardware". In fact, everything I build and code will go straight to David Mellis from the Arduino team, and maybe it'll even make its way into future Arduino releases (fingers crossed).

Anyway, if you have any special requests, just let me know, and I'll try my best to include it in the design! :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment